This page presents the highlights of the Mental Health and Cities Summit held on April 9th, 2018 at Hart House, University of Toronto. Hosted by Toronto Mayor John Tory in partnership with Wellesley Institute, CAMH, CivicAction, the Downtown Yonge BIA and the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, the Summit brought together politicians, academics, front-line practitioners, employers and those who see and feel the impact of mental health in their communities every day, with a mandate to identify and drive areas for change.
Summit Highlights | Mayor John Tory’s keynote speech | Mayors’ Presentations | Speaker biographies | Breakout Sessions | Media
The Summit featured Ontario Health Minister Helena Jaczek and Mayors from across Canada including: Gregor Robertson of Vancouver; Bonnie Crombie of Mississauga; Danny Breen of St. John’s, Drew Dilkens of Windsor, and Berry Vbranovic of Kitchener. They were joined by Poppy Jaman, CEO of City Mental Health Alliance UK; Kwame McKenzie of the Wellesley Institute; and City of Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Eileen de Villa, among others.
Mayor John Tory’s keynote speech
Mental Health & Cities Summit#HeadsUpCanada
Posted by John Tory on Monday, April 9, 2018
The expert panel offered diverse perspectives on the role cities can play in fostering well-being and how this can take root in Toronto through partnership of the City, Province, business and services sectors.
Anne Theriault, Summit Emcee
Minister Helena Jaczek, Provincial remarks
Kwame McKenzie, Summit Partner and Expert Panel
Eileen De Villa, Summit Partner and Expert Panelist
Poppy Jaman, Visiting Keynote
Kathy Langlois, Expert Panelist
Jennifer Chambers, Expert Panelist
Robert Moore, Expert Panelist
Download the Experts Panel Notes
The breakout sessions were facilitated by additional partners including the Mental Health Commission of Canada, Ryerson University, the University of Toronto, and the City of Toronto’s Public Health and Social Development, Finance & Administration divisions. Topics covered include upstream planning, mental health first aid, campus mental health, the role of data in health policy development, mental health in the workplace, and a cross-sectoral urban approach in mental health.
Breakout Session Notes:
- Mental Health Cities Summit April 2018 – Campus Mental Health
- Mental Health Cities Summit April 2018 – Mental Health First Aid
- Mental Health Cities Summit April 2018 – Swimming Upstream
- Mental Health Cities Summit April 2018 – Working Together
- Mental Health Cities Summit April 2018 – Workplace Mental Health
- Mental Health Cities Summit April 2018 – Data
- John Tory considers appointing mental health officer for Toronto, Globe & Mail, April 8, 2018 – https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-john-tory-considers-appointing-mental-health-officer-for-toronto/
- Canadian mayors, academics, practitioners come to U of T to talk mental health in cities, UofT News, April 9, 2018 – https://www.utoronto.ca/news/canadian-mayors-academics-practitioners-come-u-t-talk-mental-health-cities
- Op-ed by Mayor John Tory – Mental health in our cities is a crisis, Toronto Star, April 9, 2018 – https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2018/04/09/mental-health-in-our-cities-is-a-crisis.html
- Canadian mayors plea for federal help for mental health and addiction issues, Toronto Star, April 9, 2018 https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/04/09/tory-and-other-canadian-mayors-plea-for-federal-help-for-mental-health-and-addiction-issues.html
- Canada’s big city mayors calling for national benchmarks to tackle mental health crisis, Global News, April 9, 2018 – https://globalnews.ca/news/4131730/toronto-mental-health-summit/
- Demand for mental health training for customer service workers skyrockets in Vancouver, The Star Vancouver, April 10, 2018 – https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2018/04/10/demand-for-mental-health-training-for-customer-service-workers-skyrockets-in-vancouver.html
- Mayor John Tory on The Morning Show, April 9, 2018 – https://omny.fm/shows/am640-the-morning-show/mayor-tory-to-host-mental-health-and-cities-summit
- Poppy Jaman on CBC Metro Morning, April 9, 2018 – http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/metro-morning/segment/15536296
- Dr. Kwame McKenzie on CBC Metro Morning, April 10, 2018 – http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/metro-morning/segment/15536569