Position: Policy Officer
Duration: Full-time, contract (1 year)
Wellesley Institute is a non-profit and non-partisan research and policy institute that focuses on health and health equity in the Greater Toronto Area. Wellesley Institute’s mission is to advance population health and reduce health inequities by driving change on the social determinants of health through applied research, effective policy solutions, knowledge mobilization, and innovation.
We are seeking a Policy Officer committed to impacting progress on the social determinants of health. This new position will help us advance our strategic goals of ensuring policy discussions are well-informed and enhancing our research into the social determinants of health and health equity.
The Policy Officer will report to our Director of Policy.
- Research Canadian and international jurisdictional policies and policy literature affecting the social determinants of health
- Assist in our policy, advocacy, and government relations initiatives as well as in the development of our policy briefs, blogs, reports, and other products, with the opportunity to lead projects as appropriate
- Assist as needed in policy-specific aspects of other research projects
- Assist in monitoring of local, national, and international policy reporting, research, and initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, experience and skills:
- Post-secondary degree in a related field (e.g. public policy, law, political science) – advanced degree is an asset
- Demonstrated experience in inter-jurisdictional policy comparisons
- Understanding of and experience in drafting briefing notes, position papers, briefs, etc.
- Understanding of public policy and government decision-making processes at all levels
- Health, social, and economic policy experience are assets
- Strong analytical skills, demonstrated skills in synthesizing complex information for report-writing and presentations
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in and across collaborative teams
We are located in downtown Toronto, but this position will be online only until at least the end of 2021.
Wellesley Institute is strongly committed to diversity and especially welcomes applications from people from Black, Indigenous and other racialized communities, women, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ2S+ community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
$60,000 – $70,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to Apply:
Send your resume and cover letter, including your comparative policy experience in a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Policy Officer in the subject line.
The final deadline for all applications will be August 18 at 11:59PM.
We thank everyone for taking the time to apply, however we will only be contacting those we wish to interview.